Set the Table
Have you ever thought about how much clapping takes place in sports? In almost every aspect of sports there’s clapping. Your performance in how you “clap” has the ability to change your entire program. Clapping has the ability to raise energy levels, build enthusiasm, show a greater appreciation to others and increase your level of engagement. The foundational “9-clap” exercise will raise the level of your entire team. After experiencing the 9-clap, your team will never look at this “small,” yet powerful component of your team ever the same.
To view this content you need to have a Coaches Membership.
If you are already a Coaches Member, please log in to view this Exercise.
Player Growth Areas
An energetic, enthusiastic, and elevated clapping; on a level of 9 out of 10
See 9-Clap in action below to get a better understanding of how to teach the the Exercise.
Exercise Reminder Card
To emphasize and reinforce the lessons learned in this exercise with your players, download and share this graphic with them 24 hours after completing the exercise.
Use these questions below to engage after you have taught the exercise.
- Finish the statement: “9 Claps and __________.”
- What do leaders raise the level of?
- What 3 E’s does a 9-Clap increase the level of?
Coaches, use the below question, reflection, and action to engage parents, guardians, and other family members in the lessons learned in this exercise.
Suggestions on how to use: Email to parents the day you have taught this lesson, add it to the materials you send home, or text it to text message threads with your players.
- Question: What do leaders do when they enter a room?
- Reflection: How would you rate your daily energy on a scale of 1-10 (ten being the highest)?
- Action: At the end of the day this week, write a short reflection in a journal or notes tab on your phone on what energy level you had, what effect it had on others, and how it can be improved in the future.
Coach, take a moment to reflect on the lesson and how you can lead by example to your players.