Set the Table
When you’re in a team environment it is so important we are aware of the energy we’re giving off to one another. Teams can be special because when everyone is aligned looking to lift each other, special teams are created. On the flipside, when teams are filled with people who drain others, a team will fall apart and won’t be able to reach their full potential.
Teams are best when the players on the team each feel like sunshine. Have you been around those people who have such an infectious personality and energy, they lift all those around them. They are the sunshine, the vitamin D that gives everyone on the team life.
During this exercise we’re going to challenge the players to focus on their energy, their “spirit” and making sure when they get around the team they are adding life to the group and not bringing it down.
We all could use more people in and around our teams that feel like sunshine and provide Vitamin D.
To view this content you need to have a Coaches Membership.
If you are already a Coaches Member, please log in to view this Exercise.
Player Growth Areas
Exercise Reminder Card
To emphasize and reinforce the lessons learned in this exercise with your players, download and share this graphic with them 24 hours after completing the exercise.
Use these questions below to engage after you have taught the exercise.
- Leaders make every room they enter ____________.
- Before you enter a room, what should you do as a leader?
- What happens when a team is filled with players who drain others?
Coaches, use the below question, reflection, and action to engage parents, guardians, and other family members in the lessons learned in this exercise.
Suggestions on how to use: Email to parents the day you have taught this lesson, add it to the materials you send home, or text it to text message threads with your players.
- Question: What does Vitamin D teach us about the energy we need to bring to the team environment?
- Reflection: Who does the best job of giving the team energy? What do they do?
- Action: Share what you plan on doing to bring energy and enthusiasm to the team on a daily basis.
Coach, take a moment to reflect on the lesson and how you can lead by example to your players.