Set the Table
As we work to build our team it’s important players understand it’s not all about them.
The jersey they are wearing represents something bigger; it represents their community, their school, their coaches and their teammates. Those teammates extend beyond just the person to the right and the left, it also includes the person before them and after them. Everyone plays a part in building a program. It’s the ultimate team-effort.
As jerseys are passed from season-to-season, from one player to the next; Jersey Rep’ will help create a sense of pride encouraging the players to represent their jersey better than ever.
To view this content you need to have a Coaches Membership.
If you are already a Coaches Member, please log in to view this Exercise.
Exercise Reminder Card
To emphasize and reinforce the lessons learned in this exercise with your players, download and share this graphic with them 24 hours after completing the exercise.
Use these questions below to engage after you have taught the exercise.
- Why does your jersey represent something bigger than you?
- What does it mean to leave a legacy?
- When you rep your jersey well for yourself, what do you also do for those who will wear it in the future?
Coaches, use the below question, reflection, and action to engage parents, guardians, and other family members in the lessons learned in this exercise.
Suggestions on how to use: Email to parents the day you have taught this lesson, add it to the materials you send home, or text it to text message threads with your players.
- Question: What does your jersey mean to you?
- Reflection: What will you remember most about your journey with this jersey?
- Action: Begin writing down what words of encouragement you will share with the next person wearing your jersey.
Coach, take a moment to reflect on the lesson and how you can lead by example to your players.