Set the Table
The word “process” has become mainstream over the last few years with professional teams and athletes making it their slogans but for leaders, the process has always been part of their make-up.
Leaders recognize nothing great can be accomplished without committing to the process of getting better. They also recognize growth happens in small increments and it’s the small increments over-time that produce greatness. 1% growth over time, in many different areas, creates that greatness you pursue. Little by little championships are built.
This exercise will challenge your players to begin thinking about the small details and areas of their life where they haven’t focused on growth and development.
To view this content you need to have a Coaches Membership.
If you are already a Coaches Member, please log in to view this Exercise.
Exercise Reminder Card
To emphasize and reinforce the lessons learned in this exercise with your players, download and share this graphic with them 24 hours after completing the exercise.
Use these questions below to engage after you have taught the exercise.
- Leaders recognize nothing great can be accomplished without committing to _________.
- What are five areas you can get 1% better at?
- Why does growth happen in small increments?
Coaches, use the below question, reflection, and action to engage parents, guardians, and other family members in the lessons learned in this exercise.
Suggestions on how to use: Email to parents the day you have taught this lesson, add it to the materials you send home, or text it to text message threads with your players.
- Question: Why is it important to focus on growth in small increments?
- Reflection: What area are you committed to getting 1% better at?
- Action: What daily actions are you committed to taking in order to achieve your goal? How can we best support you in reaching your goal?
Coach, take a moment to reflect on the lesson and how you can lead by example to your players.